Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Friday, October 23, 2009

FInally - Checking the Bees


I'm so far behind this year and lax in my beekeeping but yesterday I checked all my hives. Did a little rearranging and will look again in a couple of weeks and do some more rearranging. They are busy and bringing in pollen. Lots of bees and thank goodness - lots of food in the hives.
I had ants in the hives - the bees don't seem to mind and I'll put some more used motor oil around the bottom of the hives to keep those little critters out.

There were some hive beetles but not enough to be concerned about. Just a few at the top of a couple of the hives.
Nuc #1 has the least amount of activity of any of the hives and I was concerned there were some problems in the hive. They were full of bees and doing fine. When you open a hive, you just never know what you'll find.
Nuc #2 - a different cover was put on top - there was a little moisture in the top of this hive so there might have been a little leakage. Also this hive had three brood boxes and a super - combined two of the brood boxes and put the bottom on top and the super in the middle.
Hive #4 and the Swarm hive were fine - nothing was changed on those hives.