Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bee Check Up


I've missed a couple of really good weather days to check on the bees but today was just right. This is Nuc #2 which looks great and has plenty of honey for now - I think I'll have to start feeding the Nucs in late Jan - early Feb.




This is Hive #1 with duck tape on the back of the hive - it was a pretty big gap back there. I need to take the top super off this hive and combine the best frames in one super. They were a "little irritated" with me - I got a sting on my glove and the girls got upset pretty quickly. I don't know what it is about the gloves but I decided to wait and wash them before I combine those two supers.





All the hives have entrance reducers on the front - they're ready for cold weather. I do have screened bottom boards on all hives so there's ventilation and I feel this really helps with varroa mites.