Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Saturday, November 14, 2015

Sweet Potatoes 2015

Since 1971, North Carolina has ranked as the No. 1 sweet potato producing state in the U.S. Its hot, moist climate and rich, fertile soil are ideal for cultivating sweet potatoes, averaging at nearly 50% of the U.S. supply. According to the USDA, North Carolina harvested nearly 50,000 acres of sweet potatoes in 2010, the same amount produced by California, Louisiana and Mississippi combined – also top producing states. Sampson, Nash and Johnston are the top producing counties accounting for about half of the state’s supply.
So with all that said, I planted sweet potatoes this year - Beauregard - which originated in Louisiana in 1987. Considering I did absolutely nothing, I got a really good crop.  I remember eating sweet potatoes growing up - my Mom baked them in the oven and they would turn this horrible brown color and look like death warmed over (this was before microwaves and saran wrap).  But they were good and a staple in our household.
Disclaimer: I don't know who is holding those sweet potatoes but they look similar to mine.