Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, July 2, 2017

Extracting Honey


It's about time!  I think it has been three years since I took honey from my hives.  It is such a process - the getting ready part is a lot of work and then the cleaning up is more - there's literally honey everywhere. 
I use the extractor from our local beekeeping association.  Plastic on the floor, table and anywhere in the general vicinity.  I use plastic containers to hold the supers since the honey will leak all over the place if it's not in some type of container.  Five gallon food grade plastic buckets hold the honey - after extracting I will let it sit for a week or more before putting in jars.  And yes I have this thing - I don't use plastic jars - I really like glass and I have more than enough. 
I took the honey on Friday morning and it was an all day job and continued thru Saturday.  I took off 19 frames of fully capped honey and I got about three quarters of a five gallon bucket - that's a lot of honey. I hope it's enough for all those folks I have promised honey to and that want honey.