Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Friday, April 24, 2015

Out with the Old ... In with the New





Always something new at my house - this is a duck that has magically appeared in the front yard.  I saw him Monday and he seems right at home now.  I'm giving him water, bread and some corn.  Well, I can't leave him out there with nothing to eat - good heavens!  I thought he was hanging around a nest but the males leave the females to do all the work with that (go figure).  So I guess he just can't fly.  Can't see anything wrong with him and he's friendly enough. 
But unfortunately Dumpling (my white and black hen) has gone to chicken heaven.  She just died a natural death the best I can tell.  But she lived a good life (as all the chickens at my house do) but sad.  Now I'm down to four chickens and the duck.  Don't know what I'll do about that.
To be continued . . . . .