Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Year Bee Check

Yesterday I checked the bees since the weather was nice and warm (mid 50's and higher).  Three of the hives were flying and lots of bees bringing in pollen but not the case with Hive #6.  Sure enough they had starved - just did not go up to the top brood box where there was honey.  It makes me sad but that's part of beekeeping - you're gonna have some loses.  So I moved that brood box to Hive #4.  Quickly checked the other hives - lots of bees and food.  But just to be safe, I have started feeding all three hives. 
Hive #4 and Nuc #1

Nuc #2
Three hives are enough for me to take care of but if I should get a swarm or two this spring, I won't be upset.  I've got lots of equipment sitting in the barn ready to use. 
We'll see.  I know we'll have several more cold months but the days are getting just a little longer.  Daffodils are coming up - can't wait to complain about being hot again.