Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nandinas

The nandinas in my yard are stunning right now.  With the camillas already blooming, my yard is full of color.
Even though I don't care much for nandinas, they are a great low-care, no-nonsense plant that can take just about any type of soil (think hard clay), no fertilizer, cold, heat, no real pest or disease problems - well, you name it and nandinas can survive. 
They are great to use in holiday decorations (used the berries on my mantle this year with cedar, pine, etc.)
They are nicknamed heavenly bamboo, because they produce suckers that quickly turn into tons of baby plants and the birds drop the seeds and plants sprout everywhere.
And even though they are not my favorite plant, I have lots in the yard and some are probably fifty+ years old.  They're tough.


Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/21/2011605/nandinas-thrive-anywhere.html#storylink=cpy