Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Monday, July 25, 2011

Checking Bees and Hot Weather

We're in a record breaking heat wave - 5 days of temps over 100 - trust me, it feels like it's more.
I haven't checked the bees so this morning I thought the heat was reasonable - better than the last couple of days. 
Hive #5 is struggling - I did not see any indication of a queen and I saw the queen on 6/16/11.  Don't know what has happened.  Moved 3 frames with brood from #6 and Nuc #3.  Not sure if they will make a queen but it's worth trying.
Nuc #3, Nuc #4 and #6 all looked good - lots of bees and even saw some pollen being brought in.
The bees were a little testy and I was very, very hot by the time I finished.  Did not check the bigger hives - I'll save that for cooler weather.