Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nuc #2







I checked Nuc #2 today.

Starvation.
There was still honey in the hive but very little and it was on the super. Bees are funny when they're in a cluster - the food might be right beside where they are but they won't move over or up. A couple of weeks ago there was activity in and out the hive but it must have been robber bees.
















I just looked back in my notes and I've had Nuc #2 for several years. It's very disappointing to see this especially when you know it could have been prevented. I just didn't check in time and didn't provide enough food for this hive. All the other hives had a brood box and at least two supers or two brood boxes and one super.
All I can say is "shame on me".