Thursday, May 27, 2010
Today was bee checkup day. It's been several weeks since I added supers.
Nuc #3 - no change, in fact, I'm thinking the queen may be gone - there's bees and brood but I need to check and rethink what needs to be done to that hive.
As you can see, Hive #4 looks like a skyscraper compared to the other hives. I added a brood box on top - the super that was added 5/6/10 was completely full of honey. So now there's two brood boxes on the bottom, four supers and a brood box on top.
Nuc #1 - added an empty super.
Nuc #2 - added an empty super - the super added on 5/6/10 was full.
Swarm '09 hive - no change - they still had room in the top super which was added 5/12/10.
The brood box was added simply because I had one available and only had two supers with frames and they went on Nuc #1 and #2. So now I will have to take some honey - I'm completely out of frames and I don't want to buy any more equipment.
I should be able to take 5 or 6 supers full of honey and still leave plenty for the bees for the remainder of the summer.