Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Saturday, March 14, 2009

Working in the Garden



Lily and the girls are helping me every chance they get making raised beds. They are bug crazy and can't wait for me to rake, dig or move some dirt.

But I'm getting 6 eggs most days - on a slow day just five.

Ethel is still a little "chicken" (not sure about the wording there but you get what I mean) so she's up near the coop. After Lily and I head out, she's down there in a flash.



When I look at these photos, I think I might be biting off more than I can chew with these beds. But I've already decided the one at the top will not be used this year for veggies. I dug some of the soil when it was wet and it's clumpy and hard so I've put damp newspaper on top of the soil and added straw from the chickens (it's been on the compost pile) and a layer of mulched leaves.








The weather has been perfect - I might say it's been a little warm. I believe I might have a little "redneck".