Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Monday, February 23, 2009

Raised Beds


I'm doing some more raised beds in the garden. This is an area that was covered in brush - you know, all those limbs, bushes, etc. that you can't burn. It accumulates like crazy but over time decomposes into good mulch and compost.

I'm making the beds 4x8 with some old lumber - nothing fancy and if it rots in a couple of years, I'll just replace them.

And I'm going to dig out some of the soil and put down cardboard and newspapers then add the soil back to the bed.


It was windy and cold on Saturday but the bees were flying so I went to work too. I had lots of help as usual.











This is the new brush pile - it's along the fence and out of the way. In a couple of years, I'll have more mulch and in this area I would like to plant more hollies and maybe some more camillas. Definitely evergreens.