Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, January 4, 2009

Update on Bees


The weather has been rainy and cold for quite some time. I haven't been able to check on the bees but Saturday I looked in Hive #6 to check on the baggie feeding. I replaced one bag and the other had some syrup so I left it there.

I tried to lift each hive - that's an easy way to tell if they're down to nothing foodwise in the hive. Hive #1 - well, I could just about pick it up - so light. I didn't have any syrup so my plan was to put on baggie feeders today. The weather report was wrong again - it was raining when I got up and has been overcast and cold (below 50) all day. So I took the entrance reducer off and put a jar feeder on the front of the hive. They were going in and out later in the afternoon.


My plan now is to put feeders on all the hives. It sure can't hurt anything even though they are bringing in pollen - red maples ??