Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Saturday, July 5, 2008

Checking on the Nucs




Early on the Fourth of July, I put entrance reducers on both nucs. I also checked the sugar syrup and it was all gone in both hives. I've have to check more often even though they're bringing in pollen. I put the sugar syrup on June 30th so they've taken a quart in less than five days.
This is Nuc #2.




This should eliminate or at least slow down any robbing that might be going on in the hives. They were already working and didn't take them but just a minute to realize their opening was smaller.




As you can see, I spilled a little sugar syrup when putting it in the hive. They'll clean it up. I had a little made but have already got more ready to put on tomorrow morning.






This is Nuc #1.