Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hot and Checking Bees





Hive #6

4 supers





Hive #4

Now with 5 supers and two hive bodies.









Hive #1

4 supers




It's in the high 90's and the heat index has been over 100 for a couple of days. I need to get my honey but now's not the time but I did want to check on the nucs. So early this morning, I got suited up - even then, it was already over 80 degrees.

Nuc #1 - still has one frame to fill out and I did see the queen again. Easier to see in a nuc - not as many places to hide.

Nuc #2 - I didn't see a queen but I did see two queen cells so maybe they'll get it done soon.

Both nucs had lots of bees, brood and pollen. This is my first try at making a queen so I'm pleased with what's happening.
Since I was suited up, I checked on the other hives. Just popped the top and added a super to each hive - just want to be sure they have room till I can take the honey. These supers will be used for winter food - if they're not completely full in the fall, I'll just rearrange some frames. I need to have a super full of honey for each nuc when I put them in a big house.
And I like to have plenty of honey for the winter for all the hives.