Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina

Thursday, May 8, 2008


On Saturday with Steve's help, I made two nucs from the three hives. We took frames from all three hives, making sure the queen was not on any of the frames.

From Hive #6, we took 3 brood frames and 2 frames from a super - the bees will probably make a mess with the frames from the supers but they had several queen cells on them. I'll deal with that situation later.

From Hive #4, we took 2 brood frames and 2 brood frames from Hive #1 and used a frame I had from last year.

Shook bees from super frames in both nucs - want to give them all the help I can. Also, I'm feeding both nucs - it's not necessary at this time of year but it makes me feel better. And in checking today, they have taken some sugar syrup.

They're working and I see activity in and out. I'll look over the weekend.