Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Magic Lily

Lycoris Squamigera
Common Names: Spider Lily, Resurrection Lily, Surprise Lily, Magic Lily, Naked Ladies
I have just dug a bunch of bulbs and put in pots (in case I should ever decide to move and to share with folks that don't have any).  They are to me an old fashioned plant but they originated in Japan or China and are a member of the Amaryllis family.
The leaves sprout and grow in the spring and look a lot like daffodil foliage, a little wider and thicker, but the foliage dies back during June. Then in late fall the lilies pop up again, this time producing between six and eight flowers on thin, leafless stems that grow up to three feet tall.  It only takes four or five days from first emerging to full bloom and the flowers last for two to three weeks.
The suddenness of the bloom is why they are called Magic Lily, Surprise Lily and Resurrection Lily.  The flowers in my yard are a dark pink.  It is a surprise and almost magic for them to just appear out of no where because I can never remember where they are in the yard.  One of my favorites.