Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, March 25, 2018

New Bee Packages


The beginning of a new year for beekeeping. 
The weather has been different again this year and continues with the same - last night we had a mix of snow, sleet, and rain.  Cold, damp and wet this morning. The high today will be 52 but it won't feel like that.  I hope this is the last of the cold and we're headed toward warmer and not a blast of hot weather.  Midweek is supposed to be in the 70's. 
Today Mr. Ellis is picking up two packages of bees for me and I'll bring them home late afternoon.  They'll stay in the barn (out of the wind/cold) till it warms up a little - maybe Tuesday.
New Hives March, 25, 2018
Yesterday I made two new hive boxes - one with a nuc box and one regular. I have one hive that overwintered.  I have had to move the hives down in the garden.  I'm running out of sun but I don't want to cut down any trees (they are along the fence and block out the traffic noise) so I'll see how this works.  
Beeyard March 25, 2018