Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Monday, March 26, 2018

DAR

I'm soon to become a member of the National Society of  Daughters of the American Revolution or DAR.  I started years ago but got sidetracked but just recently got all my paperwork in order with help from the DAR group I'll be joining.  Generation 8 (1700's) on my Mother's side of the family - my GGGGGGrandfather served in the American Revolution and fought at the battle of Moore's Creek Bridge, a very early decisive victory for the Patriots.   I hope I have the number of GG's right but you get the general idea. 
It will be several months before I will become "certified" if that's the right term.  The DAR is very particular about their paperwork. Only direct female descendants of Revolutionary soldiers or participants in Revolutionary causes are eligible for membership.
"Thirteen colonies fought to gain independence from the British Empire, resulting in the Revolutionary War from 1775 to 1783. The colonies penned the Declaration of Independence in 1776, and the war was finally won after many bloody battles in 1781. Those who fought in the Revolution were known as patriots. For membership purposes, DAR defines “patriot” as “one who provided service or direct assistance in achieving America's independence” [source: DAR].
Image result










My GGGrandfather served in the Civil War and fought at Fort Fisher but that's another story for another day.  I have relatives on my Father's side of the family in both wars but unfortunately the paper trail is incomplete.