Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bee Checkup and Hot Weather

We're having a heat wave!  No kidding - it's really hot.  So the bees are hanging around outside during late afternoon and evening.  They all get back inside before the morning and of course if there's bad weather.


I checked the hives on Saturday morning.  Nuc #3 was gone - there were only a few bees in the box.  They were there on Wednesday.  I saw a lot of activity but sometime in between they left.  Who knows why, I certainly don't. 
Hive #4 - took off 4 full frames of honey.
Nuc #1 - took off 5 full frames of honey.
Nuc #2 - took off a full super (10 frames) of honey
No hive beetles, lots of bees - everything looks good.
So I have three hives right now - don't plan on making any more nucs - things didn't go well this year with that so maybe I'll try again next year or not.
Lots in the news lately about bees.  Bayer certainly has their name out there and well they should since they provide the pesticides that kill the bees - talking out the side of their mouth.  I have issues with the pesticide companies - I could rant for hours and hours about them. But enough about that . . . .