Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Sunday, December 13, 2009

Entrance Reducers

I had planned on looking in the hives one more time before cold weather but it just didn't happen. They should have enough food for the winter and they have been flying even in this rainy, messy weather we've been having.














Entrance reducers are just strips of wood with a small opening for the bees to come in and out. I had to improvise on one of the hives - I didn't have an entrance reducer so I just used a scrap piece of wood - the bees won't care.


I put the entrance reducers on the hives late in the day since it was to be so cold that night and it dipped down in the 20's. So glad I've got that done.
Yesterday (Sat) was cold and today is rainy - not quite so cold but the bees won't be flying.