Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Monday, June 29, 2009

Hive #6














A week ago, Steve came over and we checked on the hives.
Hive #6 - no sign of a queen so we took 2 frames of brood from Nuc #1 and hope they will make a queen.
Also checked to see how much capped honey the bees had made. Several beekeepers have already said the honey flow was less than last year. I don't think I'll have as much either. I do plan on leaving 1 full super on each hive plus the double brood boxes. And they have to finish out the summer - hot, dry weather coming up - last year was hard on the bees after the nectar flow.
So my plan for this week is to take off the honey (this week) but as I've mentioned in the past, I really have to get psyched up for this but it is cooler thank goodness.