Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hive #6



Hive #6 is really low on food for the winter. I'm gonna have to start feeding them immediately. I switched around the supers - top to the bottom and brood box in the middle.

I'm surprised at how little honey is in the supers. The bees look fine but they'll never make it thru the winter without some help.

There were tons of ants in Hive #4 - didn't seem to matter to the bees but I'm surprised - I think I had made a note before to put some used motor oil around the bottom - need to take care of that asap.

So out of the three hives and two nucs - Hive #6 needs some help and Hive #1 needs some rearranging - and since the time change, I'll have to leave work early to get this done. Don't want to wait till the weekend and it'll be dark when I get home now - YUK!