Beekeeping, Gardening and Quilting in Eastern Wake County, North Carolina









Thursday, September 25, 2008

Naming the Chickens


When I told the girls I was getting chickens, I said they could name one each and what would they prefer their chickens to be - you know, color wise. One wanted black and one wanted something speckled or dotted! So even though they will probably never touch these chickens, I tried to get the right color or at least close to it.


"The Little Red Hen" - I just loved that story, you know, she did all the work! So the little red sex link pullet is mine. She is a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Delaware hen.


She is named Miss Minnie after my paternal grandmother. She passed on when my Dad was about 19, so needless to say, I know very little about her but that's what I wanted to name my hen.

Personality wise, I think she will be top chicken in the coop. A little pecky sometimes. Another brown egg layer and these sex link chickens do the job with egg laying from what I've been reading. She, unfortunately like me, is not very photogenic.